3 Ways Brands and Retailers Can Use Health & Wellness Claims to Drive BusinessRead Time: 4 minutes
Today’s shoppers are focusing on a comprehensive approach to wellness, and healthy food choices as a variable in that equation are growing in importance. In addition to the information already available, shoppers are looking for deeper nutritional information that goes beyond what’s provided on the product label.
With Syndigo’s comprehensive wellness features now available on CXH, both brands and retailers can use wellness claims to deliver on their shoppers’ demand for deeper health and wellness insights. Syndigo’s wellness capabilities are powered by machine learning, data science and a team of registered dietitians in order to provide effective tools for processing nutrition facts, ingredient statements, and on-pack claims to audit and match products to more than 75 health and wellness claims.
3 Ways Retailers Can Use Health & Wellness Claims to Drive Their Business
Here are three ways that retailers can use Syndigo’s wellness capabilities to benefit their business:
1. Personalize the customer experience — Retailers can power greater consumer connections using enhanced wellness attributes. Shoppers today are looking to get more specific in understanding what is in the food they buy. By leveraging an omni-commerce strategy to personalize shopper interactions in-store, online across any device, and throughout all marketing efforts, retailers can drive sales by delivering transparency into deeper wellness attributes. For example, personalizing product discovery by recommending products online that fit a shopper’s specified wellness preferences can tie to in-store shelf tags highlighting healthy products. This type of personalization also drives loyalty – as many as one in three shoppers will switch online retail vendors when personalized offers were made.
2. Leverage wellness insights to focus resources — Retailer margins are always tight. It is sometimes difficult to choose where to focus resources to make the most impact. By using Syndigo’s wellness capabilities, you can understand your overall product catalog and where to invest in more popular wellness items. By leveraging these catalog insights, you focus your resources and systematically enrich your product content where most beneficial.
3. Increase basket size and loyalty to drive sales — When your shopper uses nutrition-based filters in planning their trip, the average basket size increases by 11%. Sales of foods in special diet categories have grown by more than 50% since 2014*, and retailers can tap into this demand by giving shoppers the nutrition filters and sorting capabilities they seek. With Syndigo wellness attributes, you can meet the shopper’s need online and in real time.
There are many additional ways that using wellness attributes can help retailers as well; for example, identifying the percentages of product assortment that meets certain wellness claims to adjust product mix; using shelf tags in store to call out wellness attributes on the shelf; or by promoting products with wellness characteristics in weekly circulars or in store.
3 Ways Brands Can Use Health & Wellness Claims to Drive Their Business
Here are three ways that brands can use Syndigo’s wellness capabilities to benefit their business:
1. Audit your claims to drive shopper personalization — By using enhanced wellness attributes, brands can power greater consumer connections. Shoppers today are looking to get more specific with what is in the food they buy: Sales of foods in special diet have grown by more than 50% since 2014*, and average basket size increases by as much as 11% when shoppers use nutrition-based filters and sorting. With Syndigo’s wellness features, brands can audit their existing product claims to find any potential gaps with shopper needs and dietary trends including gluten-free, paleo, ketogenic, and plant based (vegan/vegetarian).
2. Incorporate attributes to provide product transparency —As shopper interests and buying habits change, it’s helpful to have an active feedback loop between item sales and wellness data. Syndigo makes it easy to audit and research reliable wellness data, which can help save time and provide better transparency into product content. For example, brands with access to deep analytical information can ensure clarity beyond the label for their shoppers, while adapting efficiently to evolving trends to highlight desired wellness traits beyond the label.
3. Share product sets to build better partner relationships —One place often overlooked, but still important for brands to leverage wellness capabilities is outside of eCommerce – in Category Management. When brands meet with retailer category managers, being able to show the items that have specific wellness characteristics can be an excellent lead-in to collaborative merchandising discussions to drive greater engagement in-store as well as online.
There are many additional ways that using wellness attributes can help brands as well; for example, brands can audit to see which products qualify for specific filters and categories available on Retailer sites; meet added demand for transparency by using SmartLabel™ online capabilities; and offer additional products that can help round out a retailer category.
By using a detailed wellness analysis on product contents and item assortment, both brands and retailers can help to drive better engagement with today’s shoppers. Retailers should consider the types of wellness categories their product assortment falls into, and brands can analyze their current mix to find gaps or promote product combinations for wellness-friendly diets.
Find out how Syndigo can help you understand wellness across your product content. Learn more about Syndigo Wellness.
* “Food & Beverage Manufacturers: Be First — or Fall Behind”, Milliken Performance System, 2017